Day 1 – London

I’m finally, finally in London.  It’s finally the end of August…

I landed at Heathrow at 7.45am this morning after 30 hours in transit. One year in transit, if I really think about it… It’s so wonderful to be here. By now it’s common knowledge how I got be here and why I need to do this… On my own, facing new challenges and conquering old fears. Someone made a comment on my Facebook the other day saying that this trip will change my life… Maybe it will, who knows? I see it as a turning point to a new, improved life that I will live on my own terms with less fear and more openness.

So day 1… After successfully navigating the tube from Heathrow to Kings Cross and dropping my suitcase off at the hotel (Mabledon Court – old, creaky, and with the tiniest shower I’ve ever seen, but very friendly staff), I wandered over to where Laura & I had arranged to meet for lunch. I was two and a half hours early (ha!), so I wandered a little further and happened upon Exmouth Market. Cute! I grabbed a table at Caravan and ordered a coffee. So began my buy-one-coffee-so-I-can-sit-and-work-for-two-hours tour of the EU! I’m officially a digital nomad. The coffee was terrible, so I think I’ll stick to tea from now on.

Anyway, I managed to get a little work done, a little people watching, and a whole lot of marvelling at just how gorgeous the weather was. It was nice to see people enjoying the sunshine.

After a few hours, I met Laura and we grabbed some salads from a food stall at Exmouth Market and headed to Spa Fields Park. We sat and ate with a few of her work friends. One of them recommended I check out the Barbican Centre. I haven’t researched or planned anything for these first few days in London, so I was grateful for the recommendation! So this afternoon, after finally checking into my hotel and showering (!!!!) I set out on foot to check out the Barbican Centre. I may have been too tired to enjoy it… It seemed a little ugly to me?? I would have liked to wander through the art gallery, but I didn’t have it in me. Fighting jet lag big time.

… Is this just turning into the mad ramblings of an over-tired person? I think so… It’s almost 9pm, so I think I’ll go to bed now and try to sleep through the night.

I haven’t really decided how to document this trip… Whether I should keep a blog just for me, for family & friends, or to share it with the people who follow my photo work… My mum will probably end up being the only one who reads it, ha! We’ll see… But I couldn’t let the first day pass by without starting something! And of course, a few photos…

From my last few days in Brisbane…

160827-1160827-13ZACProcessed with VSCO with p5 preset

And my first few days on the road… Flying out of Brisbane, Sydney, landing to blue skies in London, and wandering the streets getting to know the city..

IMG_5390Processed with VSCO with f2 presetIMG_5410Processed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetProcessed with VSCO with f2 preset





2 thoughts on “Day 1 – London

  1. Safe and happy travels, Jess! I’m sure I won’t be the only one to read this but, hey, I get to be the first to comment! Love the blog and can’t wait to follow this wonderful adventure of yours. xx

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s